Thursday, September 13, 2012

Bruschetta Appetizers

Bruschetta is an antipasto from France whose origin dates to at least the 15th century. But for me I tried it for the first time in the 21st century…better late than never. The first time I had Bruschetta it was topped with tomato, mozzarella and drizzled with olive oil. Absolutely delish! Now since I’m a “Master Chef” I make different variations. So, here are two that I’ve made recently. Simple and quick! Hope you enjoy! 


Ingredients: 1 baguette French bread or similar Italian bread
Green onions or Basil
1 (32-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained
1 cup fresh basil leaves, washed and spun dry
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, peeled
Kosher salt Fresh
Mozzarella or Parmesan cheese

In the bowl of a food processor, add drained tomatoes, 1 cup basil leaves, olive oil and 2 cloves garlic. Pulse until smooth, but somewhat chunky. Season with salt and pepper. On baking sheet or grill line up your bread. Toast for about 3 minutes or golden. Rub garlic on each side of bread. Put cheese of choice on bread and place back in oven or on grill until it melts. Place a spoonful of the lovely spread on each piece. Top with green onion or basil


Side note: The Bruschetta sauce will be more than enough for you to use later. I use this as a base for many dishes such as fish, beef stew, home fries and burgers just to name a few.








The second is the same concept but I sauteed mushrooms and onions in butter, garlic and shallots. I also added some bacon to this one...yummy bacon! I used Parmesan cheese with this one and no sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment