Thursday, September 8, 2011

What! No Basil?

I decided to go to my local supermarket to pick up some ingredients for dinner yesterday and I was pressed for time. Produce section first then supermarket sweep through the rest of the store. I knew I was going to make Bruschetta and some Sofrito. So, tra la la…I scoop up organic cilantro, garlic, tomatoes and green pepper…oh I’m so happy for my luscious Sofrito. But have you seen the size of a “regular” green pepper? Ok, I must move on from that.

I turn the corner where my lovely Basil always hangs out. Insert confused face…What! No Basil? Maybe they moved it or maybe Basil didn’t want to hang with Thyme anymore. She has the right to move. So I turn around to where they have the little containers of herbs. No Basil. I’m trying to relax for two reasons. One, I have to hurry and I don’t have time to turn my head like Cybil looking for this Basil. Two, I’m craving for this Bruschetta that I Tweeted about.  Of course if I tweeted it I must make it. I turn back to Basil’s original hang out and I look at the pricing label. Yep, it says Basil should be here so she hasn’t moved. At this point I can tell my face has changed. Contorted is probably a good description. I look down under the drapery of the stand to see if there was some “extra” stock. You know the spot where you look for extra t-shirts. Then you look under the drapery and your size is right there! Nope no luck for Basil. I see the sixteen year old “I could care less I just want to be on Facebook employee stocking some onions.” I say, “Hi…do you guys have anymore Basil?”  He says, “Basil? Ummmm Basil?” I think to myself this is not happening right now. He says “It should be over here”. I already know where Basil hangs. Of course we get there and no Basil. He says “Nope guess we don’t have anymore. We should have some tomorrow.” What? No Basil! What? No Basil! What am I supposed to do now? Lady please don’t look at me like that and you don’t have to hold your kid tight either. I’m not that dangerous.

But then the Basil Gods tapped me on the shoulder and pointed me to the herbs in a tube section. I never tried them but I read the label and it sounded cool and it was organic too. I’ll try the $25 tube…ok $3.50…and see what happens. Well, I make the Bruschetta and it was as tasty as could be. Tube Basil is a success and I’m very happy. As I was blending my ingredients I knew that I had truly found my passion in cooking. You just don’t get upset over an herb and then become a carpenter.  I love to cook and everything that goes into it. Cooking is definitely a pure joy for me and I want to share it with the world.  So, tomorrow I think I’ll get a t-shirt made up saying…”What? No Basil!” Yeah, I really like that.

Until next time!

Enjoy your food with True Flavor!!






No comments:

Post a Comment